kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

30.10.12

on david sedaris and buttons



On Thursday something amazing happened. Well, a few things, actually. First, I got to spend a great evening on a date with my husband. Second, we met David Sedaris. Third, I got to sew a button back onto one of Mr. Sedaris' shirts, and he paid me five dollars for it. We stood in line waiting to meet him to get our book signed (which he did sign - and addressed to our dog) when we heard him asking everyone in front of us if they could sew. The conversations went something like this:
DS: "Do you sew?"
Person: "No..."
DS: "Ugh. The women in this town!"
Then we stepped up to the signing table to say hello, and he asked if I could sew, and got the answer he was looking for. It was a fancy French shirt, and he happened to have a sewing kit in his bag. From what I can gather from his stories, Hugh does most of the domestic things at their house, and David spends his time writing. It was extra awesome because I got to sit down next to him and chat with him while I sewed the button back on. He was delightful. Funny. Personable. Told everyone else in line about me and how I was sewing a button back onto his shirt for him. The five dollar bill and my ticket stub are now framed and on a shelf in my living room next to the signed book. And I have a new amazing story to tell.

2 comments:

  1. This is an AMAZING story! Also, I started one of his books once (Me Talk Pretty One Day) before a semester totally slammed me. I think I sold the book in one of my many moving purges, but I will have to check him out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. That is awesome! What a neat story! Love that you framed the $5 and the ticket stub - good conversation starter and neat memento!

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.