kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

9.9.12

popular


Because I have a degree in English, many issues naturally inherent to the literary world are on the forefront of my thoughts. Here's a common idea that I think is total nonsense:

Classic/modern literature is inaccessible to anyone without an English degree.

This is nothing more than a bogus excuse in my book. Sure, there are those who honestly do not like reading, but not all authors are inaccessible. Yes, you might have to use your brain more (read: much more) than if you were reading, say, Twilight, but I promise you won't hurt yourself. Most authors wrote for the common man. And while I know that there are some authors who write novels that are intentionally difficult*, most don't. Pick up some Dostoevsky or some poetry; you'll be surprised at how accessible it is. It's all about the human experience. Go experience it. Find yourself in another world with new people and share in their triumphs and downfalls. It's a wonderful way to live and learn about all of those literary/philosophical ideas that start with capital letters; i.e. Truth with a capital 't'. 


Runners up for this expose:
:: That censorship will actually do/help anything. (It doesn't.) 
:: That all feminists are of the bra-burning 'we hate men' variety. (We're not.)


*Finnegans Wake by James Joyce is a perfect example. Don't even try.

26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong? | thirty things

1 comment:

  1. I experienced this first-hand. I had an amazing English teacher in high school but didn't appreciate what I learned from her until much later, probably after my mission. I remember coming home and re-reading classic books that I thought were boring or made me uncomfortable when I was younger, and they had a much richer meaning for me. I think it all depends on what you're looking for in a book. Do you just want to be handed a story, or do you want more? Do you want to expand your perception of the world around you, or do you just want to be entertained?

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.