kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

4.9.11

i graduated with a degree in english.


Does it bother anyone else when someone says your expertise is something other than what it is? Lately, at work, people have been saying that I have a background in technical writing. Yes, I am a good writer, but my background is in literature and literary criticism. Technical writing is mostly the writing of manuals and forms. Not what I do. My specialty is reading, analyzing, and writing about books. Specifically, Modern, Postmodern, and African-American books. Do any of you get upset if someone (who knows what your actual specialty is) says it's something different? Maybe I'm just the odd one, but I worked hard for that degree in English - not technical writing. 
rant = over.


2 comments:

  1. I get frustrated sometimes because I graduated in severe disabilities and I am now teaching in a mild/moderate class. The other teacher always says "you mean they didn't teach you this?"

    I always think "No, the kids I worked with didn't know how to read...much less need to analyze literature."

    ReplyDelete
  2. English major means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Some people probably think that since you majored in English, technical writing is in your bag of tricks. Not that it is the entire bag of tricks. I know it's in there. You are my comma guru.

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.