kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

7.4.11

two::weeks::left

please pardon the post-shower hair

Today I got this letter from the College of Humanities congratulating me on my upcoming graduation. They're so happy for me, want me to look back on my years here, blah, blah, blah. But the cause of the real excitement was that lovely butter-yellow paper behind the letter. It contains the details of the College of Humanities commencement. Where to be and when. What to have with you. etc. It's as if that little yellow paper made it official. I am graduating. It's real. It will actually happen Friday, April 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm. Then there was the little tidbit about how after the ceremony, "you will have the opportunity to acknowledge faculty members". My thoughts went immediately to my favorite: Gloria Cronin. I may or may not cry when I have to say goodbye to her. She is, in a word, brilliant. No kidding. I've learned more from her than all of my other English professors combined. She is like a walking encyclopedia, and a delight to talk to. She has had the biggest impact on my entire academic career. It's rare that you come across someone so fabulous, and I count my lucky stars that I was able to enjoy four amazing classes from her. I love the relationship I have with her. Sometimes, I will just go sit in her office and chat with her about life. She gives the most incredible advice. I can't really rightly explain how much of an influence she's had on me. I guess it's just one of those things you have to experience for yourself. All I can really say is that it's been a privilege knowing her, and learning from her. She treated me as a peer, not a student. Made me feel intelligent and my ideas important. There will definitely be a void when I'm not attending her classes anymore.

{Thank goodness she's teaching a Toni Morrison course Spring term, and has extended an open invitation for me to come play whenever I'd like.}

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! Can hardly wait to see you,you little cutie!

    LOVE your new blog site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so wonderful! Congratulations. It's real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new blog and oh yeah the graduation thing :)
    Well done, Mrs. Robinson!

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.