kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

3.5.12

I can talk with my hands.



          A few weeks ago I drove to Spartanburg for a language skills test. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's go back a few years. Back in my college days at BYU, I had just completed a semester of Spanish, and hated every minute of it. I found myself on the hunt for a new foreign language to fulfill a requirement for my major. I was an English major for a reason. I wanted to read amazing books and write about them, not learn a foreign language. At this same time, my amazing friend and roommate Amber had just finished ASL 101 and highly recommended it. Willing to try anything that sounded interesting that also met the academic requirement, I signed up. Best. Decision. Ever. For some reason, ASL just made sense to me. I caught on quickly and retained everything. I dove in head first going to ASL Club, attending the local ASL  branch of my church, and spent time hanging out with Deaf people. Soon, I found myself in love with a language, a culture, and a people. Two and a half years of classes and some invaluable interpreting experience, I was set.

          Fast forward to now. I found an interpreting program that I want to do that will prepare me to become a licensed ASL interpreter. It's my dream career. I love it. I applied to the school and the program, and drove to Spartanburg to do my language skills interview test. The results of which will determine if I get accepted into the interpreting program. I should get said results in a few weeks. And if I get in, I'll be off and running in the Fall.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you're still signing. Karl and I sign a bit but I don't remember near as much as I used to. I'm glad one of us kept up with it. I hope your test results are positive and that you enjoy being an interpreter. Luv ya!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you get in--you'd be most fantastic! though the fact that you hated spanish gives me a little twinge of sadness...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were so talented at translating. I was always so impressed/envious!

    I loved foreign language and really hoped I would enjoy/be talented at ASL. However, it didn't come easily at all and I ended up not enjoying doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get it! That would seriously be AWESOME! My fourth grade teacher knew sign language and taught us some stuff and I still remember learning it and LOVING it! I wish my school had ASL classes!!

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.