kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

20.4.12

charleston




Yesterday I drove to Charleston and back for my father in law's law firm. My destination? The courthouse on the corner of Broad Street and Meeting Street downtown. Knowing the parking nightmare that is downtown Charleston, and armed with a map of the public parking garages, I planned to park in a garage on Queen Street a few blocks away from the courthouse. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of visiting the most beautiful city on Earth, it's right on the ocean. There are beautiful beaches, the most amazing historic buildings, parks, The Battery right along the harbor. But it's also a maze of really narrow - think late-1600s narrow - one-way streets. Finding parking even a few blocks away from your destination is a somewhat lofty goal. Finding street parking anywhere in the city is practically impossible. Don't even try. But I digress.

As I made my way to the center of downtown, I got caught in a right turn only lane with no hope of going back. I turned. And then, along with a bus, battled out the extreme narrowness and craziest excuse of a two-lane road that is King Street. Eventually, I found myself on Broad Street. Then something amazing happened. All of the planets and stars aligned. A woman left. I took her spot. On the street. In the heart of downtown Charleston. It was only a fifteen minute meter, so I looked around to get my bearings, and tried to figure out if I could make it to the courthouse and back in fifteen. I knew I had to be close, but was I fifteen minutes on foot round trip close? I looked up and around, and realized I was parked right in front of the courthouse. Lit'rally right in front. I got a spot on the street in front of the building I wanted to go to. In Charleston. People, this.does.not.happen. It was a parking miracle.

Moral of the story: Charleston is beautiful. The parking craziness is well worth it. You should be planning your trip right now. Seriously. Stop everything and come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

♔ huzzah.