kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

28.1.12

“Perhaps there is a spirit in books that lets them live beyond their actual bound bodies." - Jonathan Rosen


The 1880 edition of Edgar Allan's poems that I found today.*

Today while driving around the west side of my fair city, I stumbled upon a used bookstore that rivals my love affair with Sam Wellers. And while Sam Wellers is the end all of used bookstores, Ed's Editions now has the top spot  in that space of my heart reserved for used bookstores. Sorry Sam, you're just too far away now for any kind of relationship to continue.

And although you can't really tell from their website, Ed's is everything a used bookstore should be. It has the smell, the old bookshelves, the ancient leather-bound books that I want to grab by the armfuls regardless of whether or not I like it or what language it's in and take home. It's housed in this quaint old storefront that's probably been around as long as some of the books. Amazing double doors. Lots of little rooms at all different levels. I think that may actually be a requirement of good used bookstores - those little steps that take you from section to section. It is, in a word, perfect. I'm anticipating a long relationship of frequenting the place, so if you can't find me, 
you might try looking for me among the shelves.

*And now, thanks to Ed, I've got my eye on an early edition of the complete works of my good friend Shakie. So look out. I'm coming for you.

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling we would have a lot of fun together if we ever met. Browsing old bookstores is the perfect way to spend a day. (preferably a rainy one so I can sip a hot latte as I stroll). Congrats on the great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You'll have to take me there sometime when I'm down.

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.