kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

1.9.11

book club.


In church this past week, this notice was passed around. All I saw was "book club" so I snatched one up in hopes that it might yield some intellectual discussion about literature. I was wrong.


In case you can't read it (I crumpled it up and gave it to my cat as soon as I realized the lack of intellectual stimulation such a gathering would provide) it says that "Elsa Jean will review the book Pollyanna." Firstly, Elsa Jean is old. Elderly, even. Not that old people aren't intelligent, but the choice of book is a tip off that this isn't going to be the type of discussion I'm used to. Secondly, Pollyanna? Really? It was fine when I was ten, but even then, not really. I was more of a Tolkien girl at age ten. The best part is that they want suggestions of books to read and review. I feel pretty secure in saying they don't want the books/authors that I'd recommend: Morrison, Plath, McCarthy, the Russians, Shakespeare, Danticat, Hemingway, etc. Then again, maybe I'll go and see if anyone is open minded about some good literature. Wishful thinking.

Why is it so nearly impossible to find a book club that discusses real literature?


5 comments:

  1. At a church group? Probably. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. Pollyanna is such a weird choice for a book club. I think a lot of people are scared of the authors you suggested, which is a shame, since they produced beautiful works. (But, that's the English major in me). Go and open their minds to new literary adventures! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I wish I had a deeper understanding of literature. I studied rhetoric for literally two years. So I just try to read classics and understand as much as possible. I also wish there was a poetry club. You should start one. I will be the first to sign up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister was in charge of a book club for her RS in South Carolina and had the women tell her that they only wanted to read easy books, and she had to pick them all out. I think that's about when I would have quit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in a couple of great book clubs over the years. Sometimes I was the one to suggest the more literary reads. You just have to find the right group. You may have to start it yourself and be content for it to be a small one. Three or four friends getting together to discuss a great book is a book club. I have to drive 50 minutes to get to my current book club, but I enjoy the selections there and the people. We just did The Help in September and we had a great discussion.

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.