kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

2.7.11

books

Spencer bought me three books this week from a little bookstore in Tampa that sells old, rare, out of print books, etc. One of those books is The Complete Concordance of Shakespeare by John Bartlett. (+20 points to Gryffindor if you already know what it is). Ever want to know where all of Shakespeare's references to cheese are? This is the book you need. Bartlett's Concordance contains every reference from the Bard's plays that exist. Just look up a word to find all of the references of that word in Shakespeare's works. It's a pretty impressive thing that someone took all of the time to compile something like this. He must have really loved Shakespeare. And, having a little soft spot (and my own pet name) for Shakie myself, this is the perfect item to add to my collection. (Here comes the fun part.) The book is really old. The publication date inside is 1894 with no previous editions listed. After a bit of research, I discovered that the Concordance was, in fact, originally published in 1894. Looks like we might have a first edition on our hands. Even if it's not, it's still an amazing text. Feel free to call me a book nerd now. It's okay. I've already accepted it.

beautiful book, no?

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for the blog comment; glad Candice "internet introduced" us. This book is gorgeous! There's something so beautiful about old books; I hate that all this technology and e-readers (although convenient) are taking away the old-fashioned, comforting feel of a book in a person's hand. I am a big believer of actual books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big believer of actual books too. :) However, I do have a Kindle, and I love it. But that doesn't stop me from buying actual books every chance I get. I love bookstores and adding to my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool book! I love old books, too, and the feel of a book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete

♔ huzzah.