kis•met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized

1. fate.

10.5.11

Remembering Wouter.

I'm not a huge sports person. I enjoy the Olympics (but who doesn't?) and I do get into college football some (only if Carolina is playing) but the one sport I really really love is professional cycling. I've been watching Le Tour de France (amongst other races) for as long as I can remember. I love everything about the sport. Although sometimes people forget how dangerous cycling really is. They hurtle down mountain roads and take those sharp turns at highway speeds. Yesterday, the cycling world got a sobering reminder of just how dangerous the sport really is. In the 3rd stage of the Giro d'Italia, Wouter Weylandt crashed on a high-speed descent. The crash killed him. He was twenty-six years old, survived by his girlfriend who is expecting their first child in September. Johan Bruyneel's blog post about the accident is both a poignant and touching tribute to Wouter.

read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

♔ huzzah.